Thursday 21 April 2011

T-bone Steak On a Saturday

A buddy of mine has just moved down to London so last Saturday I thought I'd cook a celebratory meal, and what better than a nice juicy T-bone steak.

I'd not been a fan of T-bone until I tried it in the US last year, I'd never been impressed with it over her but done right it was gorgeous.  The steaks in the supermarket are always unimpressive so I ordered some from a butcher in Devon and boy was impressed.



After trimming it down I covered it in a thick paste based on garlic and Worcestershire sauce. I was hoping the strong flavours would go well with the meat and give a nice finish to it. So covered in paste it was clingfilmed and stuck in the fridge to really draw in the flavours. I left it for about 7 hours before cooking and I think that was about right.

Cooked on the grill along with some new potatoes and portobello mushrooms. The potatoes had been parboiled and doused in olive oil and rosemary and had been on for about 20 minutes before the steaks joined them. I had a problem with my heat distribution and had to juggle the food around, as you can see the steaks and potatoes at the back were cooking better than those at the front.





Grilling in the dark is never fun, I really need to get a decent porch light. After a fair amount of guess work I took the steaks off and let them stand before serving. While they were standing I grilled some tomato halves as an extra side. As it happens the steaks were done just how I wanted them, medium rare. I leart a few things for next time, for one I'd start cooking sooner and try and fix the heat distribution but the key thing I learnt is to take photos of the cooked food before you eat it!


1 comment: